In 7 July, 1981 a legend was born in Ranchi, Bihar named Mahendra Singh Dhoni. He is known as the greatest captain of all time, having achieved more success than any other captain in the history of cricket.
Now, lets see that “is dhoni really a failure”. Following are some of the failures of MS Dhoni as the captain of Indian team:
1. Under the captaincy of Dhoni, India lost 15 oversees tests, which is the most under any Indian captain.
2. India lost 4 consecutive oversees test series under the captaincy of Dhoni, against South Africa, New Zealand, England and Australia. In the series against Australia, Dhoni retired from the test in the middle of series, but counted as official captain of the tour.
3. Dhoni was the first Indian captain under whom India lost an ODI series against Bangladesh.
In my opinion these points can’t overshadow Dhoni’s achievement. No cricket team is unbeatable, every captian has seen failure its just that some has seen more and some has less.
Indian cricket team lost the series or matches and not just captian like Indian cricket team won world cup and not MS Dhoni, but the irony is if team win credit goes to full if team loss credit goes to captian and his decisions.
In MS Dhoni captiancy Indian cricket team overseas record was poor, we lost back to back overseas series even lost one day series against Bangladesh, but believe me even other team play for win and not just to come for fielding and refreshment.
So what I feel sometime it’s okay to lose series or match, the only thing is team should learn and try to rectify their mistakes and keep moving.
Whatever the condition is we should support our team and captian.
Following are some of the biggest achievements of MS Dhoni like –
1) MS Dhoni is the only Indian captain who has led India to all three major ICC events.
2) Under his captaincy, India holds the number one position in Test ranking for 18 months.
3) MS Dhoni is the only non-Australian captain who has led his team more than 100 matches. He is also the third captain to have won the 100 matches after two Australian captains after Ricky Ponting and Allan Border.
4) Dhoni is the fourth fastest batsman who has completed 8000 runs in New Zealand fifth and final match.
5) Under the captaincy of MS Dhoni in 2013 Champions Trophy India was the only team who were unbeaten.
6) On November 1, 2011, the Indian Territorial Army conferred with honorary rank Lieutenant Colonel to Dhoni after which Dhoni has become the only captain after Kapil Dev to receive this prestigious award.
7) 2008 and 2009 Dhoni was awarded the ICC Player of the Year trophy.
8) In 2011, 2012 and 2013 under Dhoni captaincy, India was named as ICC team of the year.
9) Dhoni has won the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 2007.
There are players who are born once and former Indian captain MS Dhoni is one such player. If there was something to be achieved on the cricket field, Dhoni tried to achieve it and more often than not succeeded in it.
Who would have thought that a player from the small town of Ranchi could take his place in the Indian Cricket Team and achieve this feat in no time? Nobody could believe the potential that the best captain of the team India possesses. MS Dhoni was filled with a passion ever since his entry into the cricket world. MS Dhoni and his determination are what made him the best captain and the best batsman ever. MS Dhoni didn’t take time to become the best wicketkeeper and change the whole concept of wicketkeeping. After he got the captainship, MS Dhoni wasting considered the epitome of the best cricketer. MS Dhoni went on and made his team the best out of it.
So in conclusion, we can say that the achievements of dhoni can’t be neglected by his failures. So MS Dhoni is not a failure but on of the best captian in the history of cricket.